Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Clary Sage Essential Oil

I'd like to talk about Clary Sage esssential oil. This oil is my #1 oil that I would want with me while giving birth. While pregnant I read so many stories of women who had very long labors - 36 - 48 hours or sometimes more. I read about women who started out doing fine but then stalled, say dilated ok to 5 centimeters and then for 3 - 4 hours or more there was no progress. Sometimes women were doing Ok, but then their waters broke and hospitals put moms on a 24 hour clock after that with concern that the mom would get an infection. A lot of these women wanted natural child birth but were undermined due to the length of their labors and some disheartened at the slow progress of their labor. I know I read one woman who labored at home for 24 hours, her pressure waves were every 3-4 minutes. She wanted to show up at the hospital dilated to 7 cm or more and was deflated when she was only dilated to 2 cm.

I have no idea why these things happen. Sometimes I read that it's the baby's positioning, once it was a short umbilical cord that was preventing the baby from descending.

But what if the baby is in an OK position? And there is no other issue?

I remember Gary Young telling a story of a woman in Ecuador. Gary was helping on rounds at an Equadoran hospital when he encountered a women that had labored long. The doctors had left and were preparing for a c-section. Gary asked this woman if she wanted Gary to apply an oil that might help deliver the baby now. She consented and Gary applied Clary Sage oil. When the doctors returned to bring her into the operating room for her c-section, she had completely dilated and was ready to push. Gary called Clary Sage oil 'Nature's Pitocin.' When I heard this story, I knew Clary Sage would be an oil I wanted with me at my birthing time.

From my personal use, I applied a few drops of Clary Sage on my ankles after my water broke. I also took 4 drops which I placed in a capsule and swallowed. Dilation was at 5 cm prior to application of Clary Sage. 35 minutes later, I was dilated to 10 cm and complete.

With this experience, I wanted to share this oil with all pregnant women in the hopes that many more women can have better births.

From Alan and Connie Higley's Essential Oil reference book, 10th Edition
Therapeutic grade Clary Sage contains .5 - 7% sclareol which has estrogen-like qualities.
Properties: anti-convulsive, anti-fungal, antiseptic, antispasmodic, astringent, nerve tonic, sedative, soothing, tonic and warming.

French Medicinal Uses: Bronchitis, cholesterol, figidity, hemorrhoids, hormonal imbalance, impotence, infections, intestinal cramps, menstrual cramps, pms, pre-menopause, weak digestion.

May be used for amenorrhea, cell regulation, circulatory problems, depression, insect bites, insomnia, kidney disorders, dry skin, throat infection, ulcers and whooping cough.

It may calm and enhance the dream state, helping to bring about a feeling of euphoria.

Oral Use as a Dietary Supplement: Generally regarded as safe (GRAS) for internal consumption by the FDA. Dilute one drop oil in 1 tsp honey or 4 oz of beverage.

Not for children under 6 years old; use with caution and in greater dilution for children 6 years old and over.

Avoid during and after consumption of alcohol. Not for babies. Use with caution during pregnancy.

15 ml bottole of Clary Sage from Young Living item #3521
Customer price $58.88
Member price $44.75

No comments: