Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Olivia's Birth Story

I enjoyed meeting the doulas at Unity Hospital this morning and realized that I hadn't shared Olivia's birth story on this blog yet. The birth of Olivia was amazing and I love talking about it every chance I can get. It was beautiful and powerful and I wish it was all on video. Here's the short story:

3:00 pm. week 40 doctor appt.
Doctor Ney from Minnesota Perinatal was my doctor for this appointment and she strongly suggested that I go to the hospital for cervidil induction due to raised blood pressure, possible undiagnosed cholestasis of pregnancy and I suspect they had an unspoken policyof not letting gestational diabetic moms go past 40 weeks. I asked for my bishop score* which was a 7, dilated to2 cm. I agreed to go to the hospital. Abbott Northwestern Hospital.

6:00 pm. Cervidil placed while I was at 3 cm, so already +1 cm in three hours without cervidil. I was experiencing very gentle easy pressure waves. [Pressure waves are Hypnobabies word for contractions] .

Met with Dr Burrus who was sure that there would be a shift change before Olivia made her appearance. He would be wrong.

6:30 p.m. Ate chicken dinner

8:00 p.m. put on my Hypnobabies Easy First Stage script, turned out the lights and fell asleep

1:30 a.m. Woke up to use bathroom. Water broke, progressed to 5 cm, steady and more intense pressure waves. Cervidil removed.

Took Young Living's Clary Sage essential oil, 4 drops in capsule and also applied topically over ankles.
Took capsule of Gary Young's pain formula that I had pre-mixed and brought with me.
I was no longer able to sleep but very comfortable through pressure waves. I was most comfortable standing between waves and when the pressure wave started, I sat in Cleon’s (my husband's) lap going very loose and limp.

2:15 a.m. doula Jessie arrived and had me rechecked. 10 cm and complete.

3:55 a.m. Olivia was born. 20 1/2", 8lb 6oz.

I was thankful that the nursing staff and Dr Burrus followed my birth plan as closely as possible. They all pretty much left me alone thinking that I was going to take hours and hours given that I was older and this was my first baby. The nurses were very helpful, keeping quiet and leaving me alone with my husband and doula Jessie. I was never asked my pain level nor offered pain medication as per my request.

Between cervadil placement and Olivia's birth was less than 10 hours and seven of those 10 hours I spent time eating dinner and sleeping.

Between water breaking and Olivia's birth was just under 2 1/2 hours.

This was my first birth. I admit to being over 40 years old.

I know this is not average, nor common, for first time mothers, whether young or older.

I attribute the fast progression to the application and ingestion of Young Living's Clary Sage Oil. Please do not assume you may have the same results with any other brand. Young Living essential oils are 100% Therapeutic Grade essential oils and do not contain any synthetic or harmful filler ingredients. Please contact me for further information on how to obtain this fantastic oil. My wish is that every woman has this oil during their birthing time topossibly help prevent stalled labors, failure to progress, or extended labor times.

I provide classes and individual consultations regarding the oils that I used in pregnancy and birth of Olivia. I would love to help other moms-to-be have the best birth possible and I truly believe that these oils, with the help of a doula and hypnobabies made a huge difference.

No comments: